I would fish just over the marginal reeds where the depth is about 8' before a rapid drop off. It is effectively right under the rod tip and so I sat well back from the edge. Now for the wait I thought as this pool does not give up its treasures easily. So for 2 hours I patiently waited for some activity on the float. The only sign was one perch that succumbed to a bit of prawn. When the bite came it was un-missable and the rod arched right over. There are reeds to the left and the fish made for these but I managed to bully it into open water. I had taken some advice from Steve and used a 1.5tc rod, if this had been on my float rod then it would have ended in tears. Time and time agian it made for the snags and all I could do was just hold it hoping the 4lb bottom and 14 barbless would hold. They did. I managed to get my net out at full stretch and after one refusal in went the tench.
09/07/26 - Summer trotting Part II (dace, dace, dace!)
-
Didn't get out again in June due to some unforeseen demands at work and by
the time those were out the way it had got too hot and oppressive to think
abo...
1 week ago

Wow Dave
ReplyDeleteWhat a amazing fish 7lb!! thats a huge Tench and what a fish they are, not easy to catch as i know too well they can be very hard..
great post mate and loving your style of fishing..
Top angling Dave
Nice one
Glen
Well done Dave - a grand fish well earned. I've broken my duck on this water with my first tench, but sadly it wasn't the same stamp as yours......
ReplyDeleteRob Goodwin
Fantastic result from a tough water Dave!
ReplyDelete