Thursday 16 June 2011

Opening Day

Well it is years since I have fished opening day of the coarse season and I had forgotten how magical it is walking along the bank knowing that no-one has cast a line since March. As I had arranged to meet up with Andy and Dave from Sheffield then the River Trent at Shardlow was the venue. As I had a variety of jobs to attend to today by the time I arrived at around 1100 they were already filling their boots with some lovely fish coming to traditional Trent float fishing tactics.
I had decided to try for a barbel so moved a little further upstream to the faster water. The river was not too wide here and I guess I was fishing threequarters across below an obvious snag. After being out for a curry and some refreshments last night I was anxious to get the Kelly on and get some tea down me as I was still feeling a little jaded.
Bites were few and far between but after just over an hour fishing the odd one started to develop. A big drop back and what I think was a chub but it was soon off. Then a real bite, no indication problems here the rod was straight off the rests and I picked it up off the grass with the baitrunner going!!
The fish was straight into a snag but eventually the pressure told and after a very spirited fight I netted a 6lb 2oz beauty. This fish was in great condition and made some tremendous runs setting the drag spinning.
So for me a great start; good company, Kelly on the go, sun out, and a barbel.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds about perfect to me mate. Nothing better than a Barbel to cure that "jaded" feeling...regards Gurn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great shot with the kelly on the go. A perfect start to the river season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely fish. You are right about that first morning of the season feeling. Still feel good tonight thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave, what a cracking few days you're having. Good to see the rod didn't fail on you this time!!

    ReplyDelete