Sunday 28 March 2010

The Bloodworm is Deadly

Having had so much fun last weekend and being a little unsure about the condition of the rivers was all the excuse I needed to head off to Foremark again this morning. It had been a cold night; there was a slight ground frost as I strode out to Sunblest Bay. The sun soon got up and it was a bright morning, tougher conditions than last Sunday.

I struggled earlier on on a variety of lures on intermediate lines. This was the killing method last week but proved fruitless in the early morning. I'm a firm believer in keeping on the move until you find the trout rather than staking out a claim for one plumb spot. I tried Sunblest Bay, Flamingo Bay, and Hut Point without success. It wasn't until I got to Verduns Point at around 1000 that I tempted a fish on a damsel. Soon after this I decided to change to a floating line and bloodworm on the point with a Basils Buzzer about 4' above. This is a great way of fishing just letting these imitative patterns drift round on with the breeze, and it was certainly breezy by then. No need for a bung; you'll know soon enough when a fish takes particularly when it is a bar of silver like the one below.

I quickly took a brace on this method with both fish falling to the bloodworm. The fish seemed to be livening up by now and typically it was soon time for me to head off home. I spoke to several other anglers who had all found the going hard in the morning and I hope it picked up for those who stopped for the afternoon. Nevertheless I returned to the car park happy with my mornings catch.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, took your advise, switch to bloodworm had 2 in flamingo, still slow going, went back on orange lure and moved again to the rock area of the sailing boat jetty, had 2 in 10 minutes and another 1 after a bit of a rest, had to watch the rocks at the bottom and snagged a few times but had planty of pulls, an ok day in the end, no way near the 12 in 4 hours at sunblest the day before!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riccardo, glad you had a good afternoon with some more fish. Keep that bloodworm and your buzzers ready over the next few weeks. Once the initial stocking settles down these patterns will sort out the better fish.
    Regards,
    Dave.

    ReplyDelete